Friday, January 31, 2014

Kevin and Kade's Room

Though this room is still a work in progress, we did finally take the echo out of it.  Truly. This room echoed when you talked in it before we decorated it.  Now you only hear yourself talk once.
I still want to find comforters for them (had these old ones that work for now).  I have plans for a bigger, better, sturdier, holds more night stand too.  We'd like to add blinds or curtains someday.  And the one wall certainly has room to add stuff as I come across it.
But the room has more than beds now.  Colours are not exactly as they appear either, but you get the idea. 
The boys (particularly Kevin) wanted a room with all signs hanging everywhere. I think they kind of got what they wanted.  They were pleased anyway, 

This chalkboard thingy was made from a kitchen cabinet door. We picked it up in the AS IS section at Ikea and then I chalkboard painted the three inserts.
I don't love the "DUTY CALLS" circles.  I will probably change them up when inspiration strikes. The colours didn't end up matching the other reds and blues in the room, but it works for now. This board is meant to be changed up frequently:)
The two outer panels are for the kids memory work for the week and I had planned to put their assignment/test schedule on too, but there isn't enough room most weeks!  
On this side of the room is a bit of a "trophy case".  I modge podged the boys race bibs from their 5k/10k onto a canvas.  There is obviously plenty room for more if they choose to do more.
We also have two signs that kind of fit the theme: (in case you can't read them) "The difference between the possible and the impossible is in a persons determination."  and "Set your goals high and don't stop till you get there."  I'm keeping my eye out for more. 
Then we made this hook to hang their medals . . .   
Not too much room to do stuff on this wall (closets and door), but we did put a sign above the door.
"Attitude is everything. Pick a good one." and one above the window, "Real men walk with integrity"..
Though seeing these signs everyday, I'm sure they'll tune them out, but we hope that every once in a while they will serve as inspiration, encouragement, or at least a good reminder.
 The sign between their beds also has a good list for them:)
The "K"s are from Hobby Lobby and the circles just cut out from thin wood. 
So that's where we're at for now.  On to our room next:)  . . . though Kylie is pretty sure we need to do more to her room now . .  .but she's going to have to wait till every one else has had their first serving before she goes for seconds:)

6 comments:

  1. Great job Denise!! I love how you choose great sayings and paired them with cute signs! It is a good reminder for every day...when they look at them that is:) I do love how you did the memory verses on the chalkboard:) You are quite the mom! Looks like a really cute room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise!! Such a cute room!! I love all the ideas in it! Mare

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks GREAT!!! I love the sayings and signs. And that chalkboard - that looks great! It is a nice room for the boys. I also love the window - sure brings in a lot of light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The room turned out really nice Denise! I love it!!!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the room! Car would love the medal holder...one of his favourite verses :)

    ReplyDelete