Friday, August 1, 2008

The Pursuit of a Thrill and/or the Defining of Age

After what seemed to be years of planning and waiting for just the right time, we declared the time to be now, and my dear friend since childhood - Christy, and I set off for a full 18 hour day of fun and freedom. We were convinced we could handle a day of lineups for the sake of a few moments of exhilaration. But there was that tiny little doubt about whether our stomachs, and necks and whatever else were as able as they were the last time we went. Well, my day started off with very little sleep the night before - and I can't blame a bit of it on my kids. I just couldn't sleep! In my mind that is a definite sign of youthful excitement. So I think I may have drifted off around 4am and slept restlessly till the alarm went 2 1/2 hours later. With sandpaper eyes, I dragged myself out of bed, got myself and the kids ready and set off. By 7:30 the kids were in capable hands, my system had a bit of coffee in it and we were on our way. We were there and waiting when the gates opened at 10am.
The day was a complete success in every way - except of course we would have liked to ride more and wait less, but we did fit in 21 rides which we thought was pretty good. The new ride, the Behemoth, was #1 in both of our minds. This is our attempt at a self portrait after getting drenched on a ride.


So 10pm rolled around, and I was sure I hadn't really aged too much. There were a few moments of maybe a tiny bit of queasiness (most likely hunger pangs:), and Christy did have to pop tylenol a few times, and oh maybe our necks are not quite as strong as in former days, but nothing major.
So we were on our way after what seemed like a very short day. And by this time we were hungry and thought it to be about supper time, so McDonalds beckoned us and we ate to our hearts content. I rolled in my driveway after 1am and deemed it an excellent day. Definitely should be a yearly ritual . . . . . and then . . . .I woke up in the morning and have since concluded I am definitely not as spry as I once may have been. I think I'll blame it on lack of sleep and start planning my next outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment