Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Recital Songs

The kids were supposed to have their first recital at the beginning of May.  Kevin and Kade had a previous (and much more important!) commitment (hockey:)), so they were unable to attend.  
Even though I knew they wouldn't be at the recital, I didn't tell them until a couple days before, so they worked on their songs regardless.
Here they are the day before the recital:
Kevin has accepted lessons as part of life finally.  He now approaches it with the attitude, "Get er done!"  He is almost always the first one to hop on the piano after school and he is usually off within five minutes. He has a way of doing the least amount possible and still getting by.  He used to have to play a song 5 time a day. Then when I taught him, we whittled it down to three and now this year he figures twice is plenty (and will try for just once if I am not paying attention!)  I'm sure this slows his progress immensely, but it is working for us both right now. 
Kade just started lessons this year and is doing quite well and seems to actually enjoy it. I work with him the least!
Kylie also started this year and has just a 15 minute lesson each week. This is enough for her right now.  She gets frustrated easily too, but is awfully proud when she masters a song.  Yankee Doodle has been heard A LOT around here:)!
And Kylie did go to the recital and it was a full house! There were 49 students performing and she was 27th in line.   She was only a little nervous and did really well. I was nervous for her!  She loves to perform though and loved the applause at the end.  She thought it was very loud and that people must have liked her song.

The kids teacher is big on being able to play in front of people for the enjoyment of others . . . other wise there is no point in learning she says!  I agree mostly, but I think it is a great discipline and though Kevin still disagrees, I think the kids will all thank me some day for the skills they have learned.  And mom . . . if I haven't thanked you . . . Thank you! I am very glad for all the lessons and I love sitting at the piano and making music.

No comments:

Post a Comment