Saturday, August 14, 2010

Kevin's Golden Birthday

Warning: This post gets kind of long. The pictures and the words.
On August the ninth, our Kevin turned nine. Nine short years ago we were here:
Your first teeth . . .
ONE YEAR OLDTWO YEARS OLDTHREE YEARS OLDFOUR YEARS OLDFIVE YEARS OLDSIX YEARS OLDYour 7th birthday. We never got around to doing a professional picture this year b/c your teeth were rather awkward. So we waitedand waited . . . . . .and waited . . .and finally they were lovely again:)Just in time for your
EIGHT YEARS OLD picture NINE YEARS OLD (haven't made it to the studio yet due to Kylie's hair incident)
HAPPY 9TH BIRTHDAY KEVIN!!!
Dear Kevin,
Your golden birthday has come and gone. Again you got to spend it at camp, and again it passed by with very little fanfare – no cake, no singing, no special birthday supper. But you remain content with the fact that you celebrate your birthday at camp – one of the funnest places in the world. So balloons, and a few gifts are overshadowed by the cousins, family, opa and oma, the beach, the park, the campsite, the campfire and the camaraderie. Makes a pretty good birthday. I’ve never heard you complain:).
Kevin, you have taught me so many things over the years. You taught me so many things about being a mom. You taught me love, you taught me patience, you taught me to relax, you taught me to take time for the important things. And you keep teaching me things every day. The other day, I asked you if you had done your devotions. You said, “Yes, but it was kind of a funny story. It was about the linen shorts. The man put them between a rock and they rotted.” I was baffled. I began wondering just what you were reading for devotions, but you showed me and sure enough, there it was – based on Jeremiah 13-1-11 and 15-16. I do not recall ever reading that prophecy, though I’m sure I have. So again, Kevin, you sent me to the Bible to learn more. I thought that was special.
You’ve been chatting with me lately about growing up too. You tell me that you want to be just like Dad. People tell you that that is who you look like, and even though you don’t like your chicken legs, they become okay, because Dad had/has them too. This week you answered the phone and it was London Hydro and they were looking for Dad. You gave them his cell phone number and when they called Daddy, they told him that you made their day. You told me that they thought you were Dad when you answered the phone . . . probably not, but hey:). Keep imitating your dad Kevin. He’s a good and godly man. But even more so, keep imitating your heavenly Father because that is what we are called to do each and every day.
I thought of these verses:
“My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands . . . . Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths . . .Do not be wise in your own eyes: Fear the Lord and depart from evil. . . . My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor detest His correction. For whom the Lord loves, He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights . . . “ Proverbs 3
Remember these words, Kev. It’s easy to think we know it all. It’s easy to think we are pretty good. It’s easy to think we were in the right and the other person was most definitely wrong. It’s easy to think that that wasn’t really so bad. It’s easy to be deceived. Listen to your conscience. Use what you have learned to lead and guide you. As we were driving to camp, you told me that you remember a lie you told a long time ago. You still remember and think about it. I asked you if you had asked for forgiveness. You quickly informed me, ”Yah, I already repented of it.” Cute.
You are soon headed off to a different life than the one you are used to. I pray that you will be a kind, compassionate, and loving friend to all. I pray that you will be a good example. I pray that it will go well for you and that you will love it. You are a bit unsure of the unknown. But you will be fine. God goes with you each and every moment.
Kevin – keep being the boy you are. Work hard, play hard, and keep reading God’s word. We are very proud of you. We love you very much. We pray that God will bless this year ahead and continue to lead and guide you every step you take.
Love Mom and Dad

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kevin!
    What a awesome tribute to Kevin. He is a special boy. Hope you have good year at school. Well written Denise (as always).

    Nate & Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! In this beautiful post shines not only a wonderful son, but a godly and thoughtful mother. :-) I enjoyed learning more about you both.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Denise... that was beautiful! Seriouly I have tears in my eyes! The song was appropriate as well (one of my favorites). I should really start writing letters to my kids on their birthdays. You've inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Denise. You have a great gift for writing and a blessed son and family. Don't we serve a great God who blesses us with these wonderful gifts?

    ReplyDelete