Friday, May 28, 2010

Not My Daughter!

Thought I'd put out a bit of an update, since it's been a while:) So here's what's been going on over here in the last little while:
We are in full time summer mode over here. School has been done for almost two weeks and just in time - b/c I can't imagine getting the boys to concentrate too well in this heat! Kena is done too except for our track and field meet which is coming up on Monday.
We put the pool up on Monday and they have been living in their bathing suits ever since.
The gardens are planted. The flowers are not. But they will be soon.
We got chickens about two weeks ago and are enjoying them so far. The boys love waking up early to go feed them and they love collecting the eggs. We started out with five - and after about 8 days are down to three. Kevin rudely woke me up early one morning with "MOM ONE OF THE CHICKENS GOT KILLED BY A COYOTE!!!!" Turns out it was actually two. (and not necessarily by a coyote, but definitely by something that didn't leave a whole lot behind - Jonathan thinks a weasel) Nevertheless, they get closed up in a smaller space at nighttime now so they are protected from whatever wild thing is roaming our property.
Not sure if I will end up putting flowers in this pot - though I want to and had planned to! The chickens tend to come out of our fencing just as often as they stay in. So far they always come back. (except for the dead ones, but I think they were in the pen and got dragged out, by the looks of things)
We picked up our tent trailer from out of storage the other day. We locked the door too - to keep Kylie out primarily. But Kylie being Kylie it didn't seem to stop her. The next morning, Kevin remarked to me that he hadn't seen the black and white kittens all morning. It took my brain approximately .5 seconds to process what that may mean. And I was exactly right. I marched out to the trailer hoping to find them in a cupboard possibly (this would have been the better option!), but NO! They were in the fridge!!! I let out a loud scream. YUCK!!! Though the fridge was not on, there is definitely no oxygen in there either. It was a sad day. Kevin cried. And cried. And could hardly talk about it lest he cry again. Kade was mad and thought we should perhaps tie Kylie's hands up and tie her to a tree. Kylie just goes on like nothing happened. And she LOVED those kitties. When prompted to tell daddy what she did to the kitties, she calmly states, "I killed them." What a child!!!! So its been a rough week at Old McDonalds Farm over here.

Baseball season has started. Soccer starts next week. Swimming lessons is going full swing (indoor). Piano lessons ends next week and Kevin gets to do his first recital the week after. NHL hockey playoffs are winding down and its probably a good thing, b/c paperwork takes a whole lot longer during a hockey game:)
Our van encountered its first mishap about two weeks ago. I was on my way home from baseball when about 5-6 deer ran out in front of me. I braked hard and was able to stop. But the last deer was not and he ran into my side door. Blah!!! But its all fixed now and looking as good as ever.


And so life is not boring. Actually its kind of fun, though not every moment is as enjoyable as the last. We live and we learn. And we wait for the next adventure. And hope it's just going to be a little one:)

9 comments:

  1. I had a good laugh about Kylie!! She is quite the crazy girl! Your gardens are looking great!! Makes me long for a vegetable garden with all the veggies, but without all the work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I laughed so hard when I read about the poor kitties (which makes me sound like a horrible person). Even Chris laughed when I read it out loud to him. I hope the boys have gotten over the loss already (it sure sounds like Kylie has :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh! Perhaps not a very nice response to your poor kittens' death.....that part is sad, but your little girl's blunt, "I killed them" did me in! It reminds me of all the times our little Yvetta has done something bad, frankly admitted it, and then throws a, "Sorry, mom" over her shoulder as she walks away. I'm sure there's a lesson here somewhere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a little girl
    Who had a little curl.... :o)

    Great to hear an update from you again Dece. Got a weekend free anytime soon? Give us a call. OK, an e-mail...

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I wonder if you should ask Kylie where the two missing chickens are....?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise!! That is very sad!! What a kid!! It is always entertaining to read about your life. :) it always seems much more interesting than what goes on over here! although I can't say i would want to find dead kittens in my frig, or be struck by a deer...but at least you are keeping us nicely entertained. :) and of course its mostly good stuff...Thanks for posting! enjoy your summer!! :)

    (ps. did you get my email?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed out loud when I read about Kylie! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a (cute) little stinker you have! Like all the other blog reading moms, I had to read this one to my husband, and he had the same shocked laugh I did. I'm glad you have the backbone to put up with your little monkey! :-)

    ReplyDelete