Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kevin turns Eight

Kevin celebrated his 8th birthday this past Sunday. His birthday always happens at some point during our family camping trip with my side of the family. I personally don't love it - but he seems to think its great! I find it hard to celebrate it as a birthday and not just as another fun day, but Kevin just figures the camping is another one of his gifts. And since his birthday is supposed to be about him and he's happy - I'm good with that too.
This is the one and only picture I have of any birthday going ons - and that is thanks only to my mom. We didn't do cake this year either, but we didn't skip out on the presents - that just may have been pushing it too far . . .
And now for a few thoughts about this dear and oldest son of mine. Kevin is and always has been a boy with lots of energy - on the go all the time. (except when it comes time to unload everything from camping - all of the sudden his energy is drained!) He is generally a very hard worker, although lately he is definitely having moments bordering on laziness. But when he puts his mind to a task - you can be sure it will get done and that it will get done well! Kevin is an athlete. He loves sports and does well at them. He is also fairly competitive - though the competitiveness generally shows itself more at home and less on the playing field - I suppose there is good and bad in that . . . Kevin if full of attitude personality lately too! I'm not sure if that's just a growing up and getting older thing or what, but we are working on nipping that in the bud! Kevin is a very good brother to both Kade and Kylie. He is protective and helpful to them and me. I can usually trust Kevin to keep an eye on things for me if I am busy elsewhere. But my absolute favorite thing about Kevin and the one that gives me hope on a trying day, is Kevin's heart for the LORD. Kevin loves the Bible. His favorite subject in school is Bible. He soaks it up and remembers more than I do often. He is a quick memorizer as well. We have just finished going through the Kings of Israel and Judah. Kevin will recall details about a certain king that I have no idea about. So I will flip back a few pages to check, and he is almost always right. We also finished memorizing the names of all the kings (with the help of Jamie Soles) and Kevin mastered that quickest of all of us too. Kevin loves King Josiah - because it is his middle name and because Josiah was just eight years old when he became king. Our prayer for Kevin is that he may live a life like King Josiah as it says in 2 Kings 22 vs 1,2
"Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign . . .And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, and walked in all the way of David his father, and turned not aside to the right hand or to the left."
2 Kings 23: 25
" And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the LORD with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him."
We gave Kevin his own Bible this year for his birthday and he was quite excited to get it as he had been wanting one for a while. In it we wrote something along the lines of, "We hope that this will be your longest lasting, yet most used gift and that you will treasure it and read it every day." So on the way to church, I thought I'd ask Kevin which of his gifts he liked the best. He responded that he liked his laptop (a vtech thing I picked up second hand), and the k'nex. Jonathan decided to prompt him a little, mentionning something about a book I think, to which Kevin responded, "Oh yah!!! I forgot all about the Hardy Boy books . . . !!!" Ahem. After a chuckle and another hint, he did get it right. But he has been eagerly reading it and I do believe that he will treasure it.
So that is a glimpse into our Kevin. We love him dearly and are thankful to God for this son of ours. We pray that he will continue to grow in God's grace and ways and that his life will be a testimony whereever he goes. We love you Kevin!!

4 comments:

  1. Love that picture of Kevin - he looks so grown up! Happy "belated" birthday!!
    Hope you are all doing well!
    Love, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot all about Kevin's birthday on Sunday :( glad he still enjoyed it. I have Jeremy's BIrhtday at the cottage most of the time and I don't think he'll mind either. Nice picture of him too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, a beautiful post! Happy belated birthday to our dear Kevin!! Glad to hear you had a special day! We really miss you guys but it was nice to catch up at the beach! Love you!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Kevin. I was thinking of him on his birthday when he was young and could say that his birthday was Aggy..9..So cute. Love you lots kevin, can't wait to see you at the cottage.

    ReplyDelete