Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Back to School 2015

Not a one of us was looking forward to this "Back to School" thing. I suppose a part of it might be that we were just coming off of vacation and school seems pretty structured and rigid compared to the carefree life of holidays. Nevertheless, the calendar said we had to start school, so we did.
Of course the big change this year is that we have a high schooler. Ya. We have a HIGH SCHOOLER!  Crazy stuff.  In some ways it doesn't seem too different b/c he takes the same bus, but it feels kind of strange to not have all your school kids in the same place.
Kevin, though not excited about school in particular,  was somewhat excited to be going to PRC.  His least favorite part was the uniform .. . though 6 school days later, I think we made it through a morning without a comment on it.  It is not the uniform in particular that he has issues with - it is how it fits - too big, too baggy, too long -- basically too different from what he is used to. But it is growing on him . . .and he'll be growing into it too!
Next funny story, that has to be recorded b/c other wise I'll never believe it to be true.  When Kevin came home from school the first day, his first words were, "I am so sick, I think I'm gonna throw up.""  After he laid down and cooled down (it was a super hot day), I peppered him with questions. How was it? Did you like it? What did you do at lunch? etc.  Do you care to know what he did at lunch?  Well he tells me, "I walked around for a while, and then we went to the library and read books."  I nearly fell off my chair.  WAY TOO not Kevin.  So he was a little lost for the first week, but I think he is slowly but surely finding his way. This has been a good experience for him for sure!  The minor niner takes on real meaning all of the sudden.
Kade had a good first day of school - same classroom, same teacher, same friends. No big deal.
Kylie came home announcing that she hates school. This girl does like her play time and this school thing sure cuts into it!
 So the first day was not met with such great enthusiasm. Since then we are all settling into routine slowly but surely. It is starting to feel like the new normal . . though I personally could go for a four day week or perhaps 4 months of summer vacation.  
B/c it was such a hot first day of school, and b/c we were still kind of in vacation/beach mode, we cleaned up quickly after supper and headed for Port Burwell for one last hurrah.

It was a beautiful night and a good end to the first day of school.










1 comment:

  1. I still get a great laugh about him reading in the library:) That was pretty funny! I am glad he is starting to feel a little more a part of it! Jo

    ReplyDelete