Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

In years gone by, we used to make a point of having a family outing on Good Friday. In fact I have many fond memories of some of our Good Friday ventures - except that the last one I remember is when Kevin is about a year - which means our "tradition" got kind of lost at some point. But, clinging to those memories, I was determined to have a family outing this year if the weather was nice. And it was. We decided to go to Port Burwell and we had a really nice time walking the beach, climbing rocks, playing at the playground, checking out our campsite, and biking through the park. We are really looking forward to returning in a few months!
Here is the last of the snow/ice chunks. (though it barely resembles that)








The sand was just covered in shells. The boys picked up handful after handful to hurl into the water.
The rocks were of course a big attraction for the boys. There were lots of hideouts and crawlspaces and tunnels to explore.





We packed all of our bikes onto the back of our van using the very handy contraption made by Ken. It makes it so easy to just quickly load the bikes on and take off on a little trip.

Pit stop at the playground.



So we are thankful for another Good Friday. Not just because it is a holiday for the world, and there is no school, or work. We are thankful for Good Friday and what it really means for us - that we have received the gift of salvation because of the Father's love for us in sending His only Son! As we think of Jesus' death at Calvary, we realize that it really is Good Friday, but we must also recognize that every day is good because our God is good and the gifts and love He gives His children every day are good!

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure.
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away.
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.

2 comments:

  1. Loved your post, Denise - the pic's, the message and the song! Happy (belated) Easter! =)
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, wonderful pics Denise!! What fun you have with your family!! When are you bums coming down?! We miss you guys!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete